STAYING FOCUSED ON THE JOB
Cogbill Safety Tuesday December 14th, 2021
It is normal for our minds to be filled with distractions from our busy lives, especially during the current holiday season. However, we must find focus while performing our jobs, especially in the industrial sector. Operating heavy machinery, climbing platforms, welding, and simply walking around an industrial workplace requires great focus. Losing focus while on the job can lead to property damage, injury, or even death.
The following are a few simple tips to help you stay focused while on the job:
- Have a plan: You should start each day by laying out a plan for what you intend to complete. Try to break down your plan into specific tasks so you can focus on one thing at a time, thus preventing yourself from leaving out any steps. Writing your plan down each day so you have a visual list can help you stay on track, and hopefully attain your goals safely.
- Recognize distractions: Electronics, noise, clutter, people and many more things can have a significant impact on your ability to remain focused on your tasks. Eliminating the distractions you may encounter while performing your work tasks will help you continue working in a safe and timely manner.
- Keep your workstation organized: Our minds react to our surroundings. A cluttered workspace can keep our minds distracted and prevents us from remaining focused on our tasks. A disorganized workspace can also prevent us from having a good workflow if we are constantly trying to search for something. Making sure that our workstation is tidy every day especially before starting work is a simple step that can have significant benefits.
- Think of the big picture: Having both short and long-term goals for your job are key to staying focused. Being goal-orientated will help you be motivated to complete your tasks, even if minor inconveniences come in your way. Whether your goals are big or small, having that motivation will encourage you to work hard and produce quality work, in a safe manner.
- Work as a team: Work can become difficult and stressful at times, and no one should have to feel that they are alone. Working together with your peers to support one another and collaborate on ideas can go a long way in influencing productivity and motivation.
- Step back when needed: If you don’t feel that your head is in the right place, don’t be embarrassed to step back for a few moments to clear your mind and re-center yourself. Return to work once your mind is reset and you can perform your job safely and productively.
If there are factors in the workplace that are out of your control to the point they prevent you from remaining focused, talk to your supervisor or your peers about finding solutions. If you are unable to clear your mind due to life’s circumstances, do not be afraid to reach out for help.